Thursday, November 26, 2009


Happy Thanksgiving, ladies.

Mine is, of course, tomorrow, given the nature of the teaching profession + traveling, and mine, also, is the last poultry-laden one--at least for my plate. I'm transferring back to my vegetarian ways, which seems so very meek compared to the culinary appetites of the rest, but I have a mild dairy addiction and a love of wool and honey, which will keep me forever from crossing the boundaries to veganism.

Despite this, I cannot help but poke and prod at my little turkey-carcass, which is currently brining in the refrigerator I dis-assembled for holiday purposes. I'm feeling a bit accomplished, as if I could flex a little and a word or too might pop out of that tattoo.

I wanted to send a quick note of thanks for this Tuesday evening's Thai get-together. I hope we can find spaces of time to see each other more often; I'm becoming more energized and less frustrated with my over-exertion and am finally ready to put down the knitting needles (most of the time) and the cookbooks and thrust myself right back into academic life. Watch out, chapbook.

After the turkey, the editing. (And I brought along three manuscripts: Colleen's, Kevin's, Jasmin's plus any stray poems from us second years I neglected.) But mostly, the chapbook. I'm here, in Michigan: what better place to finish than in the place it began?

xo

1 comment:

Meryl DePasquale said...

Yay Molly! Wipe the floor with that chapbook!!!

Sorry you couldn't be with us last night. There was some real turkey at the table... but also tofu cutlets with mushroom gravy a la moi.

Teehee, I love bastardizing French. Last night when I was explaining the mushroom gravy to McC and I said joux instead of roux.

Personally I don't consider honey and wool outside the bounds of veganism, but I have a general tendency to do whatever I want (the Mrs. Piggy kind of "moi") with little concern for definitions and distinctions.

Another vegetarian in the group would certainly be cause for celebration. But a healthy appreciator of veggies who can cook a mean turkey upon occasion is also pretty dope... Feel free to tap me for recipes or strategizing as you make the transition. How is Ryan doing with it all?