Monday, March 23, 2009

plath / hughes


I was thirteen when I first read The Bell Jar.

I grew up in Chattanooga, went to an arts and sciences magnet school (where a second language was learned from kindergarten on, where theatre and art were a regular part of the curriculum, and dissections of nurse sharks occurred in the parking lot) and we had summer reading lists. I think The Bell Jar was one of the options for freshmen, though I could be wrong. Did those list-makers know, when they put together that list, how much angst they were encouraging in their students? I had moved by the time I spotted it on the list, but being the reader that I am, I asked a friend to save her copy of the list (which includes all the grades' assignments) so I wouldn't miss out.

And I fell in love.

And I expanded to Anne Sexton and read Girl, Interrupted in the summer sun (while my mother changed a flat--I remember sitting on a park bench in downtown Appleton while my father looked on; gender roles in our house were always a little muddy).

When I was fifteen, I photocopied pictures from Plath's biographies and put them up my bedroom wall, which was entirely made of cork and tucked away in the basement.


And when I started my undergraduate career here at the U of MN, Frieda Hughes came to what was then called The Hungry Mind bookstore (later Ruminator, and after expanding to a second store in the Open Book, it folded), located on Grand just next to Macalaster. I made my friend Jesse come with me; this was my first "author event." (I was nineteen.) Hughes was touring to promote her own book of poetry, Wooroloo, and I sat, rapt, and guiltily kept thinking: This is the daughter of Sylvia Plath, this is the daughter of Sylvia Plath.



And, as you may have already heard, the son of Sylvia Plath committed suicide last week.

These kinds of things always rock me a bit, the early losses of people whose lives have always been in my periphery. (A side note: I'd been going through a Natasha Richardson marathon last week--Gothic and Evening and The Handmaid's Tale--and then.)

So my question to all of you, I suppose, is this: who is it for you? Maybe it was in high school, maybe some other time, but who moved you in such ways, in the days before poetry became a daily part of your life? Who began to open up those doors for you? Plath started it for me, and Sharon Olds really cemented it, among others, but I'm curious as to your beginnings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fear reading the Bell Jar because a family member struggled with depression. I'll have to at least check for quotes from her work.

And I have a question for you "committed" poets: is there room in the world of poetry for someone who (at least for now) writes only short poems? Does one need to write "long" to be taken seriously?

Kate, from Split Rock

Colleen McC said...

Hi Kate, I'm not sure what type of 'short' you are working on, but here is a journal dedicated to four-line poems! that's short, right? www.linelinelineline.com

I never am one to believe that length has any correlation with "serious-ness" and am always a fan of poets/poems who can say it in fewer words.

peace and best wishes, Colleen M

Anonymous said...

I wrote poetry in kindergarten so I'd have to say nursery rhymes (mom had audio tapes of people reading them), Japanese children's songs, and musicals which were always played on the stereo growing up. As an older person I loved Plath/Sexton/Olds/Atwood of course but then it was just the music.

Betsy

Anonymous said...

By short I mean 3-4 lines, maybe 8lines.

BTW: I'm reading Bill Holm, whom I had never read before. I love some of his images and the way he does words, but I don't like the endings on a number of them. Of course I'm reading them fast because the book is overdue at the library, but some of them jar me. I do like "Bird Poetry on Skagafjord," and "Letting Go Of What Cannot Be Held Back." The first line of the Bird poem is: "Seabirds arrange themselves into a sentence on the water." The imagery is gorgeous.

Kate, from Split Rock

Meryl DePasquale said...

Plath: Me three! Ariel made me fall in love with assonance. But in late middle school / early high school I geeked out on Poe and Longfellow. No, I didn't have a boyfriend at the time...